PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT!
99% of snake bites DO NOT HURT. See that photo? Do you see any teeth? Snakes DO have teeth, but they are small, thin and needle-like. They make tiny little perforations that heal almost overnight.
Very few of the snakes that you encounter in the US, especially the eastern states, are venomous.
If you encounter a snake, leave it alone. Take a picture, upload it here, and PEOPLE LIKE ME CAN TELL YOU IF IT’S DANGEROUS OR NOT. If it is dangerous, you can call animal control to relocate it. DO NOT KILL IT.
Snakes are NOT scary. Dog bites, cat bites, even hamster bites hurt more than snake bites do, trust me. I’ve been bitten by a snake that has the longest, sharpest teeth of any nonvenomous species. Snakes that CAN do damage to you, are either large constrictors (that don’t live in the US) or venomous snakes.
Please please don’t kill your local wildlife, it’s cruel and inhumane. Snakes are, for the most part, completely harmless.
MOST BITES OCCUR WHEN YOU DISTURB A VENOMOUS SNAKE. If you encounter a snake and cannot determine if it’s venomous or not, LEAVE IT ALONE! It’s better for the snake, and better for you!